The recruitment drive, which got underway with adverts in the international medical journal, BMJ, is part of the board’s primary care and mental health transformation programme (PCMHTP). In recognition of a deficit in the number of GPs coupled with the increasing demand on services, the programme aims to radically transform how the public access general practice and how primary care services are delivered to meet current and future need.
For GPs the advantages of the innovative PCMHTP include -
- a range of new ways for the public to interact with their GP team, for example using technology such as Telehealth*
- working closely with multi-disciplinary teams, including Advanced Nurse Practitioners and Pharmacists able to prescribe, and facilitating collaboration across practices
- a supportive environment with the addition of a new coaching and mentoring service for GPs
- learning, research and teaching opportunities through NHSL’s new university status
- new, world-class health centres providing a range of integrated services.
Eligible GPs taking up a post in Lanarkshire will also be guaranteed a ‘Golden Hello’ – an incentive available to all health boards across Scotland.
Iain Wallace, Medical Director for NHS Lanarkshire said:”GP practices across the UK are finding it more competitive than ever to attract new practitioners, so it’s crucial that we set out and promote what’s special about working in Lanarkshire.
“The Scottish Government has made funding available to support health boards in recruiting and retaining GPs and we’re taking full advantage of that to make the system-wide changes needed to make general practice in Lanarkshire a first choice for doctors. That’s fundamental to our vision of providing world-leading, high quality, person-centred care to the people of Lanarkshire.
“Whether you are a newly qualified GP or a GP looking to return to practice on a full or part-time basis, please get in touch and we’ll talk you through the options and opportunities available.”
Practices across Lanarkshire have a range of employment options on offer for qualified GPs including, full partnerships, clinical leadership, portfolio career opportunities and salaried GP positions with base-practice working and flexible contracts available. Interested GPs should send their details to email@example.com